Museum of Power
The Museum of Power is located in a former Southend Waterworks pumping station that was built in the 1920's to house the three huge steam pumps that were required to send treated water via a pipe to Southend-on-Sea.
The steam pumps were shut down in 1963 after a new electric powered pumping station was built short distance away. Two of the pumps were dismantled and sold but the water company had the foresight to keep the newer of the engines in place. That engine is the Lilleshall triple expansion steam pump named 'Marshall' which has now been restored to run under steam power again after 50 years.